2013年1月21日

Primulina balances and poises

Or so-called "Chirita" in the past, the Primulina group is a big family including members that require different habitats with diverse climate conditions. This genera of Gesneriad is not the leading plant in my garden. I only keep some easy growers because they tolerate my planting area. Except those Primulina species that require stronger light, most of my Primulina receive weak sun light all year around as I put them right on the ground under my planting rack where the other Gesneriads like Sinningias are planted because they require stronger sun light. With weak sun light (at least enough for maintaining the growth and flower), the leaves of Primulina are smooth and flexible, on the other hand the rosette foliage might be tight and brittle when they are over-exposed under sun light.

My Primulinas usually flower during spring to early summer here in Taiwan although I also experienced that they flowered in different season but sometimes the buds failed. I assume this is the reaction to their yearly growth cycle as well as they do in the wild in southern China. This inspires my view of growing Primulina - never push it to flower, they will when they are ready ... meanwhile keep the plant's foliage as beautiful as you can, it is pleasing to the eyes without seasonal limit.

Primulina Aiko

Primulina sp (should be a type of Primulina dryas)

Primulina subrhomboidea 

沒有留言:

張貼留言